Dec 2, 2014 11:47 AM
Carbon monoxide death investigation in Nottingham
NOTTINGHAM - The New Hampshire State Medical Examiner's Office said Diane Nugent of Nottingham died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.
Investigators said the woman died at 11 Mooers Road in Nottingham.
The joint investigation will continue for the next several days, but the preliminary examination of the scene has led investigators to the source of the carbon monoxide: an industrial type generator that had been in use during the power outage caused by last week's storm. Investigators say the generator had been running in a detached garage that was found to be closed up. Although the generator was not running when the victim went in the garage to refuel it, the closed up condition still contained high levels of carbon monoxide.
The Fire Marshal has a few tips for generator users:
--Never place portable generators on or near combustible surfaces such as decks, porches, or tool sheds. Heat generated by the motor, or improper refueling methods can start a fire.
--Never run portable generators inside any building, including basement areas and garages. Deadly levels of carbon monoxide can build up in minutes and cause harm with little to no warning.
--Allow plenty of time to cool the generator before refueling. Gasoline vapors can easily ignite from hot surfaces causing a flash fire and severe injuries.
--Always store approved gasoline containers a safe distance from generators while in use. Always store gasoline in an approved container placed in a well-ventilated storage area. Never store gasoline products in basements or enclosed areas of your home.
--Never modify or construct any power cord so a generator can be connected to a receptacle, dryer or range outlet.
Any further inquiries can be directed to the State Fire Marshal's Office - Bureau of Investigations, Investigator Mat Wilmont or District Chief John Southwell at (603) 223-4289.