NH1 News Debates


Jan 27, 2015 3:57 PM

Blizzard of 2015 isn't over, but NH bracing for aftermath


CONCORD - The state of New Hampshire begins to consider life after the Blizzard of 2015 but Gov. Maggie Hassan wants to make sure there is latitude in the coming day.

Hassan confirmed state government will be back in business tomorrow and moved the meeting of the Executive Council back two hours to noon.

A typical breakfast meeting of the councilors will not be held.

But Hassan urged state agency managers to be flexible about bringing all state workers back tomorrow.

"In addition, Governor Hassan announced that state government will be open on Wednesday, January 28, but recognizing that travel may be difficult in the morning, she is asking that commissioners and other department heads be liberal in granting leave,'' said Press Secretary William Hinkle.

A dangerous development happened on the Seacoast after loose shale blasted onto the road by high winds caused the closing of a section of Route 1-A near the border of Rye and North Hampton.

The affected roadway was from Atlantic Avenue in North Hampton to Causeway Road in Rye.

A section of the seawall is clearly damaged by the high tide wind and water.

Rye Fire Chief Kimberly Reed urged curious onlookers not to go to the ocean as it was hampering the recovery efforts.

Chief Meterologist Clayton Stiver reported that bands of snow continue to spring up around the state.

As of 5 pm, the Blizzard of 2015 jackpot belongs to the Rockingham County town of Kingston that the National Weather Service reported had 27 inches of snow on the ground. Auburn followed closely behind with 26 inches.

Portsmouth City Manager John Bohenko said the biggest problem in the Seacoast city is anticipating the high tide that hits after 5 pm today.

Meanwhile, Bohenko urged motorists to be careful of residents who were out walking through Market Street and the downtown.

"We're asking they be careful of pedestrians,'' Bohenko said.

Manchester Mayor Ted Gatsas confirmed schools will be closed again on Wednesday and their nagging problem was dealing with the motorists who did not heed the on-street parking ban in place since late Tuesday afternoon.

City crews towed 110 vehicles in the Queen City.

Concord Fire Chief Dan Andrus said the residents heeded the warning to stay off the road.

"This helped us a great deal and allowed our crews to finally catch up with the snow that had fallen,'' Andrus said.

Indeed, Chief Political Correspondent Kevin Landrigan filmed a drive-by of the capital city and found it had turned into a virtual ghost town.

Power outages are kept to a minimum with the largest number at 569 during the middle of the afternoon with nearly all of those restored before dark. Wakefield, Alton and Brookfield in the Lakes Region had the largest number.

"Thankfully this was not a heavy snow which leads to much larger outages,'' said Lauren Collins, a PSNH spokeswoman, told NH1.

The power problems were much worse to the south where the resort town of Nantucket Island off the Massachusetts was totally without power including the hospital and shelters.

Town officials were furiously trying to get generator power restored to the most essential power sources in the town. Salt spray from the heavy morning high tide caused the outage.

» There are multiple updates to this story. Please click here to get the latest information.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome