Dec 18, 2014 3:00 PM
Ayotte says burials resumed at veterans cemetery
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - U.S. Sen. Kelly Ayotte says burials have resumed at a cemetery in the Philippines that holds more than 8,300 American veterans.
Clark Veterans Cemetery was neglected following a volcanic eruption in 1991 and abandonment of a U.S. Air Force base. The cemetery was left covered in ash and overgrown by weeds. Since 1994, volunteers in the Philippines have attempted to maintain the cemetery and last year, the United States and the Philippines signed an agreement to restore it.
Ayotte, a Republican who serves on the Armed Services committee, learned Dec. 1 that burials had been suspended by the Phillippines' Bases Conversion and Development Authority, which converts former U.S. military bases into alternative productive civilian use.
She announced Thursday that the State Department and Philippine government confirmed that burials will resume.