Jan 13, 2015 5:48 PM

Assault charges dismissed against soccer star Hope Solo

The Associated Press

KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) A judge near Seattle on Tuesday dismissed domestic violence assault charges against soccer superstar Hope Solo, a week before the case was set for trial.

Solo, a goalie for the U.S. women's national soccer team and the Seattle Reign professional club, had been charged with two misdemeanor counts of fourth-degree assault stemming from an altercation with her half-sister and 17-year-old nephew at a party in June.

Kirkland Municipal Court Judge Michael Lambo dismissed the charges on Tuesday, KING-TV reported (http://is.gd/Q6oHIZ ). Solo did not appear at Tuesday's hearing. The judge had agreed to let her attend a training camp.

Solo's lawyer, Todd Maybrown, sought to have the charges dismissed on the grounds that the alleged victims refused to answer questions about the case.

Maybrown said after the court hearing that the charges never should have been filed in the first place, the Seattle Times reported.

At a hearing last week, the judge renewed an order for a deposition after Solo's nephew and half-sister failed to appear for interviews.

Prosecutors had said the pair didn't appear because they weren't served with subpoenas and there wasn't adequate time to notify them, given the New Year's Day holiday.

In court documents, Solo said she was defending herself against her nephew, who is 6-foot-9 and weighs 280 pounds. She claims she was hit over the head with a broom handle. Solo's relatives have claimed she attacked first.

The 33-year-old has won two Olympic gold medals with the U.S. women's national team.


Information from: KING-TV, http://www.king5.com/


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome