Lucky Dog! Video Shows Dramatic Rescue of Choking Puppy
(NOTE: Video has no sound.)
NORTH READING, Massachusetts — Crews rescued a 9-week-old puppy choking on food, saving its life.
On Sunday just before noon, resident Megan Vitale ran into the police station with a friend saying her 9-week-old Saint Bernard puppy Bodhi was choking.
Officers found the puppy not breathing, limp, and unresponsive when the came around the corner to help.
Vitale is visibly distressed as crews continue to work on Bodhi to save his life.
Officers Jorge Hernandez, Peter DiPietro and Joseph Aleo assisted by North Reading firefighters, gave the puppy back blows and chest compressions, ultimately dislodging the food obstructing his airways.
Vitale clearly goes from distraught to relieved, crying and turning to her friend for comfort.
Crews gave Bodhi oxygen and wrapped him in a blanket after they revived him. The video shows him showing some spunk when he doesn't want the oxygen mask to be placed on his face.
The oxygen mask used by North Reading Firefighters is specially designed for pets. Over the past few years, the firefighters have received specialized training to respond to emergencies involving pets.
"Many of our firefighters have pets at home in their own families. We do not get to choose the emergency situation that comes our way, so it is important that first responders be prepared for anything," Chief Don Stats said.
Both chiefs praised the quick thinking of officers and firefighters.
"Ultimately, a life was saved thanks to rescuers falling back on their training and remaining calm," said Police Chief Michael Murphy. "Even though we are not faced with this kind of incident every day, the officers reacted just as they would in any emergency situation. We are hopeful that the puppy will make a full recovery."
Bodhi is being treated by a veterinarian at this time.