Dec 21, 2015 5:45 PM

Aftermath of Nashua fire includes 13 people looking for a new place to stay

NASHUA - There's no good time for a fire, but it makes matters even worse when it happens the same week as Christmas.

A Sunday afternoon fire left 13 displaced.

Colleen Vanhorn, a neighbor, watched as the flames consumed the 3-story building.

"There's this big ball of smoke coming out, and you can see it come out of the roof - right before Christmas," she said. "And you know? It's just terrible. You lose everything, and I feel really bad."

Vanhorn said there were at least three children living in the building and although she didn't know them personally, they would wave when they walked to the bus stop.

Vanhorn said she was heartbroken to know they will now have to spend the holiday somewhere else.

The Nashua Fire Department said the flames started in a kitchen when someone left grease in a pan on the stove.

Luckily, no one was killed, but one firefighter suffered a back injury and a resident suffered facial burns but did not go to the hospital.

NH1 News was told by neighbors that the family with three children had been in Vermont, and came home to the building in flames.

The Red Cross helped those displaced by providing food, shelter and finding temporary shelter.

To help the local Red Cross, visit its website.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome