Nov 9, 2015 5:28 PM

9 tips from NH Fire Marshal to reduce winter carbon monoxide risk

CONCORD - NH State Fire Marshal J. William Degnan and Gov. Maggie Hassan have officially declared November as Carbon Monoxide Awareness month.

Carbon Monoxide is often known as the silent killers because it is odorless and tasteless and often is the result of burning gas, oil, korisene, wood or charcoal.

Fire Marshal Degnan warns that with winter months upon us, residents need to be especially aware of carbon monoxide risks.

What can you do to reduce the risk of CO poisoning?

- Have a trained professional inspect, clean, and tune-up central heating system (furnaces, flues, and chimneys) annually. Repair any leaks promptly.

- Install CO alarm(s) with battery backup outside of sleeping areas.

- Test your CO alarm(s) frequently and replace dead batteries.

- Do not use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time.

- Keep gas appliances properly adjusted.

- Do not use any gasoline-powered engines, such as portable generators, in enclosed spaces, including your garage and locate them at least 10 feet from your house with the exhaust facing away from the building.

- Do not idle your vehicle inside a garage.

- Do not sleep in any room with an unvented gas or kerosene space heater.

- Make certain that doors on all wood stoves fit tightly.

And remember, if you suspect CO poisoning, police and fire officials urge you to get outside to fresh air immediately and all 911.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome