Feb 13, 2017 5:14 PM
8 tips for NH parents to consider as snowstorms barrel through state
You may remember this tragic story from December of 2016 when a 13-year-old boy in New York died after his snow fort collapsed, trapping him and his friend inside.
Rescue crews worked to remove seven tons of snow from on top of the boys. One survived, but unfortunately it was too late for the other.
With all the snow we have gotten here in the Granite State the last few weeks, it is important that kids know how to stay safe in the winter weather while still having fun of course.
Here are a few tips to consider
- Never allow children to play outside alone.
- Establish a buddy system and have friends look out for one another.
- Also make sure they're dressed in winter gear head to toe.
- The hat is key because most body heat is lost through the head.
- Also, never assume it’s safe to skate on a lake or pond.
- Adults should make sure the ice is at least four inches thick before venturing out on the frozen water.
When it comes to sledding...
- Always sit up or kneel on the sled.
- Lying down increases the risk of head, spine and abdominal injuries.
These simple tips will help to keep you and your children safe while enjoying all the fun the snow has to offer.