NH1 News Debates


Jan 29, 2015 10:19 AM

8 hospitalized after carbon monoxide scare in Exeter


EXETER - 20 people were evaluated and 8 were taken to Exeter Hospital after a carbon monoxide scare.

The Exeter Fire Department responded to 12 Chestnut Street, The Exeter Mill Complex, at about 6:08 a.m. Thursday.

Crews found elevated levels of carbon monoxide.

Firefighters began checking on people in each unit of the complex.

Levels ranged from 37ppm-200ppm in the living space.

20 people were evaluated and 8 were transported to Exeter Hospital. A dog who lived in one of the impacted units was also taken to an area fire station for an evaluation and was given oxygen.

"Yeah, he's been fine ... he went off to the fire station and had a field trip I think while we were at the emergency room and he's fine, perfectly fine; as we all are," said owner Linda Thurston, who was brought to the hospital with multiple other family members. "I think our apartment was at about 200 - which I understand is fairly high. You know, we had headaches and things like that."

Thurston said it felt like she had a migraine headache, and had taken medication to make the feeling go away.

Firefighters, wearing self contained breathing apparatus, continued throughout the complex in monitoring for elevated levels of carbon monoxide and the source of the problem.

The source was found to be a heating unit in the pool area.

The unit in the pool area was turned off.

The effected buildings were ventilated and the carbon monoxide levels monitored.

Once the levels reached zero the units were closed and reeva luated for carbon monoxide.

All units were cleared and the residents were allowed back in.

Mutual aid was received from North Hampton, Hampton, Kingston, and Amesbury, MA.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome