NH1 News Debates


Logan Stephenson - GoFundMe

Jan 27, 2016 5:15 PM

2 teens dead after drinking 'Dewshine' mix of racing fuel, Mountain Dew; 2 more sickened

The Associated Press

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A poison control official says two Tennessee teens are dead after drinking a mixture of racing fuel and Mountain Dew, and two others were sickened by the mixture they called "Dewshine."

Tennessee Poison Center Medical Director Donna Seger says the teens evidently thought they could drink methanol, which is extremely toxic, as a substitute for ethanol, the ingredient in alcoholic beverages that causes intoxication.

Logan Stephenson, 16, died last Thursday, and J.D. Byram, also 16, died Tuesday morning after being hospitalized at Vanderbilt Hospital in nearby Nashville.

Seger says the Robertson County teens didn't realize drinking methanol could kill them, and she called last week's poisonings an accident.

She says this is the first time she has seen this type of poisoning. The four cases are the only ones reported in Tennessee, and Seger is not aware of any cases in other states.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from NH1.com

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome