Dec 8, 2015 5:37 PM

2 hospitalized for smoke inhalation after fire at Manchester apartment building

MANCHESTER- Two were taken to the hospital after a fire in a nine story building in Manchester Tuesday evening.

Firefighters arrived at the Kalivas Apartments at 175 Chestnut Street and discovered a woman trapped inside her fifth floor apartment. District Chief Mike Gamache says the fire began on her stove. Smoke quickly filled the hallways of the fifth-ninth floors.

It's a mixed-use building with a lot of elderly and handicapped people who needed help evacuating.

“We received an additional fifteen 9-1-1 calls that people were trapped and couldn't get out so it was a mass evacuation and trying to save people at the same time as we were fighting the fire,” Gamache said.

The conditions of the two taken to the hospital are unknown. Residents were eventually allowed back inside the building.


--  Dealing with the Disease of Addiction? Click here for help --

More from

NH1 News Debates
NH1 News Replay

NH1 on Twitter

NH1 SkyView Cameras

NH1 on Facebook

Check out NH1 News Rail Polls on LockerDome on LockerDome